The Wide Ruins Community School District is committed to providing a quality athletic program for our students. The program allows for student participation across a wide range of individual and team activities at various levels. The elementary athletic program in our school maintains focus on fair play, participation, sportsmanship, skill-development, and fun. We believe that sports promote many positive qualities and always strive to keep those qualities as a focus for our programs.
Principles of the Elementary Athletic Program
- To ensure the well-being of the student-athlete.
- To ensure the well-being of all school and league athletic programs.
- To ensure a program consistent with the goals of elementary education.
Purposes/Objectives of the Elementary Athletic Program
- To provide students with the opportunity to explore and express themselves through athletic competition.
- To provide students with the opportunity to represent their families, school and community.
- To contribute to the development of school spirit.
- To provide students with opportunities to participate in activities that promotes healthy living.
- To provide a wide range of individual and team activities and allow students of all ability levels to participate.
- To allow as many student-athletes as possible to participate.
- To satisfy the need to socialize and broaden student experience.
- To teach the concepts of teamwork and work ethic.
- To teach the concepts of fair play and sportsmanship.
- To allow students to develop life-long skills and abilities.
- To promote the Code of Conduct for Elementary Athletics for players, spectators, parents, coaches, and teachers.
Overview of Athletic Activities
- Cross Country Running (August 4th – October 18th)
- JV Volleyball (August 4th – October 21st)
- Flag Football (August 4th – October 23rd)
- Basketball (October 20th – January 24th)
- Co-ed Softball (March 2nd – May 16th)
- Co-ed Soccer (March 2nd – May 16th)
- Track and Field (March – June) possibly.
Practice will be held Monday through Thursday from 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM or after students are released from school on half days for a period of no more than two hours. Coaches may also have optional practices over the holidays. Dorm students may practice in the evenings under proper supervision.
- The athletic program regulation regarding eligibility for participation in athletics is as follows:
- Students must have a sports physical on file at the school.
- Parents or guardians must fill out an annual athletic packet that includes: parent permission sheet, consent to treat form and all waivers before participation.
- Students must have passing grades. Weekly grade checks will be done.
- Students must be at practice. Three unexcused practices and students will be dropped from the team.
- Athletes shall abide by all rules set forth by the coach, school and league for the sport they are participating in and shall behave in a manner that conveys respect for all individuals.
- Participation in different divisions depends on age, grade and abilities along with league rules of participation.
- Students can participate in more than one sport per season.